Thursday, September 3, 2009

Horses - it's a girl thing

Ever since I can remember, I've loved horses. A symbol of power, grace, athleticism, freedom and beauty. I was one of those horse-mad girls who read Saddle Club books and begged my parents for a pony.

When I was 6 years old, I was lucky enough to get a pony. Dad was living in Warwick at the time (about 200kms south-west of Brisbane), after my parents split up, on a small farm with stables. Her name was Bonnie, a grey mare/pony. She was a stubborn thing, who managed to throw me off a few times and had a habit of kicking her back legs. I went to pony club, gymkhanas, riding camps and would ride with Dad on weekends over to my friends' properties. They are very fond childhood memories, and despite the injuries and frustrations when Bonnie wouldn't do what I'd told her, I still loved every minute of it.

Part of me feared horses. So powerful and often unpredictable. But mostly, it was a respect.

As I grew older, my opportunities to ride became fewer and fewer. Until this year I began riding again. It started out as a trail ride at Samford on the outskirts of Brisbane and now I have weekly private lessons at Wattle Creek Riding School in The Gap.

I ride one of the school horses, Jack - a gorgeous 16.2hh bay gelding (see pic). He's got lots of personality and we've established a great working bond. He's an eventer, so is trained in dressage, jumping and cross country. If the school allows, I'd love to compete again one day. Though I can just imagine me up there against all the 6 year olds who all ride better than I do now!

I'd love to have a horse again but at this stage in my life it's not a logistical or financially practical plan. Maybe one day..

No comments: